This project is the early, formative stages. Please join us in the
Announcement/Call For Contributors - Test Driven Eclipse
- In mid-October of 2003, "Philip" posted a message on the XP mailing list -- "If IDE makers focused on tests..."
where he outlined a number of potential features that would really demonstrate and IDE that was focused on testing.
- In late October of 2003, Carl Manaster posted a conceptual prototype of "Zero Button Testing" to the TDD and XP mailing lists.
- In November of 2003, J. B. Rainsberger mentioned he had Eclipse configured to run his tests everytime he saves a file.
All this has insprired me to form the Test Driven Eclipse (TDE) project. TDE is a project dedicated to making
Eclipse the ideal environment for test infected developers. Right now, all that exists is a few ideas swirling
in my head, a SourceForge project with one mailing list. Not one byte of code has been written yet to support
this. This is a call for other participants (developers, idea people, writers, webmaster, etc.) to explore what
this project should be, and build it.
In case some of you need some more inspiration, here's a starting list of possible ideas (mostly from the above great minds):
- Automatically Execute tests on Save
- Automatically Execute tests "all the time"
- Easy rollback to the last green-bar
- Color-code code based on test status
- Automatically create test rig with production code
- Quick-link between test code and corresponding production code and back again
- Easy to browse tree of Test suites/cases/methods
- Color code stack traces to seperate test-rig from production code
- Quick/more-automatic integration
- Integration runs tests.
- If post-integration test fail, rollback automatically.
- Identify what code lines are covered by what tests
- Language Independent Test Runner
- Cross Language Test Suites
Come join us!